California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract is a primary document and necessary during a sale of an automobile in California State. The seller of an automobile must prepare this legal instrument and both seller and the purchaser must sign to execute it. The contract form must comprise of accurate vehicle description, information of the seller and buyer, date of the sale, and the price of the sale. Please draw up this document in line with the requirements of DMV, California.
You require other forms and documents in addition to the California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract like
- Form for Release of Liability – Compulsory for seller
- Odometer Disclosure Form – Compulsory for all motor vehicles; however, not required for vehicles older than 10 years
- Recent Smog Certificate – Required even if the existing certificate is valid
The buyer must review this California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract carefully prior to paying the seller to understand its provision. The buyer also must verify all particulars pertaining to the information of the buyer and seller, vehicle particulars, date of the sale, and the price of sale prior to signing and executing it. The buyer requires filing this form along with duly endorsed title during the registration. Sale price specified on this form is a base for calculation of taxes for the buyer. The buyer must understand that this form does not offer warranty on the vehicle and the vehicle is sold as is. The buyer also must register the vehicle within one week from the date of sale specified on the California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract.
How to Write California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract
- Enter seller’s name
- Enter buyer’s name
- Enter vehicle description like model, make, and year of manufacturing; you may choose to enter the vehicle identification number
- Enter date of sale
- Enter purchase price in words and figure; specify this amount in US dollar only
- Enter date in required format
- Enter name of the place in California State on the next line
- Space for seller’s signature
- Space for buyer’s signature
Both the seller and the buyer must sign on California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract to execute it legally. You must understand that both parties accept the terms and conditions described in the bill of sale contract by signing and executing it.
California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract records a physical sale of an automobile under the monetary considerations within California State. This form also establishes the proof of ownership for the buyer and receipt for money paid to the seller. The buyer must submit duly completed and signed California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract while applying for registration and title within a week of the date of sale. Notarization of this California Automobile Bill of Sale Contract is not required unless any of the parties require it.