California DMV Bill of Sale Form REG 135 is a legal instrument required during the sale / purchase transaction of a motor vehicle or vessel in the California State jurisdiction. You must prepare this form in duplicate and retain one copy for the record purpose. You may require the following forms in addition to the California DMV Bill of Sale Form REG 135 depending upon the nature of vehicle and transaction
- Odometer Disclosure Form
- Release of Liability Form
- Smog Certificate
- Form REG 227, Application for Duplicate or Paperless Title
- Form REG 156, Application for Replacement Plates, Stickers, Documents
- CA Vehicle History Report
Individuals as well as car dealers can use the California DMV Bill of Sale Form REG 135 during a sale of a vehicle. However, the seller must submit the Release of Liability form within five days of the date of the sale to CA DMV. Please give accurate particulars of the vehicle and the amount of sale. The amount of purchase furnished on this form is required during computation of the taxes for the buyer.
Vehicle / Vessel Description
- Enter vehicle or vessel identification number
- Enter year of manufacturing and model of the vehicle or vessel
- Enter make of the vehicle
- Enter License Plate or CF number
- Enter engine number of the vehicle, vessel, or motorcycle
- Enter seller’s printed name
- Enter buyer’s printed name
- Enter the date of sale
- Enter the amount of sale
- Specify relationship in case of gift and enter gift value
- Enter seller’s printed name. Use a separate line to provide information of the seller when more than one individual sells the vehicle.
- Sign in the space provided
- Enter the date
- Specify the Driver’s License, ID, or Dealer number
- Enter Seller’s mailing address including name of the city, state, and zip code
- Enter buyer’s printed name. Use a separate line to provide information of more than one buyer.
- Enter buyer’s mailing address. Specify street address along with the name of the city, state, and zip code in the respective lines.
Please prepare the California DMV Bill of Sale Form REG 135 in duplicate and all parties must sign on both the forms.
California DMV Bill of Sale Form REG 135 is an essential instrument required to document the sale / purchase transaction of a motor vehicle or vessel. This form has three portions requiring input of motor vehicle particulars, information of the seller and buyer, and details of the transaction. This form also serves as a receipt for the payment made by the buyer to the seller. Individuals or car dealers require to prepare this form and other certificates while selling a car or vessel to the buyer.